Ideas to Help Keep Life Fun for Those With Mobility Issues | Executive Care of Southern Ocean
We know that many seniors may feel homebound or restricted activity-wise due to temporary or permanent mobility issues. Fortunately, that doesn’t have to be the case!
The U.S. Census reports that 47 million seniors live in our country, and that means there are plenty of mobility issues being dealt with. A survey found in 2014 that 40% of those 65 and older have at least one disability. Trouble with walking or climbing stairs was reported by two-thirds of them.
Mobility Issues Don’t Have to Stop the Fun
There are some health situations, like arthritis, stroke or injuries due to falling, that can hamper your loved one’s mobility. Despite this, he or she is still able to lead a fun and fulfilling life.
Here are some activity ideas that your loved one can enjoy:
- Scrapbooking. Keeping memories alive—that’s what a scrapbook can do. Your loved one can sort through old photos and relive those happy moments and pass down some fun family stories to you!
- The great outdoors. The mood boost that can be had from the outdoors is excellent for anyone regardless of their age. Your loved one can enjoy the nice summer months from the safety of a shaded area, making sure he or she doesn’t get too overheated.
- Exercise options. Just because their mobility may be limited, that doesn’t mean exercise stops being an option. Your loved one can enjoy chair exercises, chair yoga and even focus on balance through walker exercises.
- Bingo. Not only is bingo a fun time out, but it also provides socialization aspects for older adults with limited mobility.
- Embracing the creative side. Fun, creative and engaging—you can’t beat that combo! It is known that depression and anxiety can be minimized by participating in creative activities like painting, drawing, crafts and sculpting.
Your loved one doesn’t have to suffer through issues with limited mobility and miss out on the fun aspects of life.
Know that Executive Care of Southern Ocean is always ready to step in and help make sure your loved one is leading the life he or she wants and deserves, right in the comfort of home. Don’t hesitate to contact us to learn more about our in-home care services.